The Financial Services Register

Financial Services Firm Search

By Firm reference number


By Name and Post code


Interim Permission Consumer Credit Register

If you are searching for a firm in relation to consumer credit business you may also need to refer to the Interim Permission Consumer Credit Register

You might deal with a financial services firm for business relating to banking, investments, insurance, or mortgages, other home finance and credit-related regulated activities.

The types of firms most likely to be involved in these activities include:

  • banks and building societies;
  • investment firms;
  • credit unions;
  • mortgage and other home finance providers and brokers,
  • insurers and insurance brokers;
  • stockbrokers, asset managers and financial advisers;
  • Firms providing Personal Loans;
  • Pawnbrokers;
  • Credit brokers;
  • Debt adjusters;
  • Debt counsellors;
  • Debt collectors (in relation to credit or consumer hire agreements);
  • Debt administrators;
  • Firms involved in hire purchase;
  • Firms involved in consumer hire;
  • Credit information services;
  • Credit reference agencies; and
  • Firms operating an electronic system related to lending.

Most financial services firms have been regulated under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA) since 1 December 2001. Financial services firms have been regulated under FSMA in relation to credit-related regulated activity since 1 April 2014. If you require regulatory information about a financial services firm before these dates please contact our Consumer Helpline.

If you are not satisfied with the response to a complaint to a financial services firm, you may be able to take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Financial services firms involved in activities such as those listed above except in relation to credit-related regulated activities, and authorised by us, are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), so it may protect you if a firm is unable, or likely to be unable, to pay claims against it.

The search for financial services firms also includes firms registered with us under the Money Laundering Regulations 2007. However, beware that businesses registered by us under these Regulations are not covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service or the FSCS

Be aware that you may instead want to search for a payment services firm or e-money institution.

You can find out more about financial services firms on the Register, or search for a firm now by its ‘firm reference number’ (FRN) or name and postcode: